Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Power of a Story

We've begun the annual tradition of starting off the year trying to see all or most of the Oscar nominated movies before the award show.  Even this weekend, we went to a movie on Friday and  Saturday evening.  The contrast in the two cinematic experiences couldn't be more obvious or dramatic.  One movie had all the elements of a memorable story--interesting characters with identifiable struggles and just enough drama and perseverance to keep you involved until the end-- where circumstances or people are redeemed in one way or another.  While the other feature left me checking the time on my phone (every 3 minutes) to see how long until the movie would be over and I could get out of the theater. This annual movie obsession got me to thinking about why we spend so much time and money at the theater.  Possibly, it's the power of a story that captures us. 

The month of January also tends to include a list of books that I would like to read throughout the year.  It is a great pleasure when I find myself so caught up in a novel that I rejoice or weep, even get angry, with characters and when I feel personally acquainted with the personalities of the individuals, including significant flaws and depth of character.  As a kindergarten teacher, perhaps the greatest joy in the classroom includes sharing literature experiences with my students.  Highly active and rarely quiet 5 and 6 years old children freeze like statues during daily read alouds.  Student engagement increases during discussion of story elements-- characters, setting, problem and solution.  The influence of a good story is clear even from the beginning of life, during the baby and toddler years.

Recently, while watching one of my favorite television shows/stories (Downton Abbey), I was struck by the dialogue from one of the characters.  The gentleman who leads the mansion staff said, "The business of life is the acquisition of memories.  In the end, that's all there is."  While I relate with this sentiment and often find myself collecting and rehearsing memories from the past, I do not agree with his conclusion-- "That's all there is."  Life is the greatest of all stories filled with sin, tragedy, triumph, perseverance, hope and redemption.   The Bible, containing history, poetry and prophecy, is simply the story of redemption for God's people.  In the end, I hope the story of my life reads with authentic struggle (including significant character flaws), dependance upon divine mercy and the growing restoration of my heart through the power of the spirit.  My hope and intention in writing this blog includes recording my story in hope that others will find encouragement through Christ's redeeming work in my life.   


1 comment:

  1. Your post is insightful, well written, captivating and thought provoking. All of us have stories we are living in and in many ways we have the choices set before us which set the story and lead to the ending. How do I want my story to read?

    ReplyDelete